History of Shimla started from Stately Windsor Castle where the "Widow of Windsor" reigned in lonely, isolated splendour after the death of her beloved consort, Prince Albert, to the small, but ancient temple surrounded by thick woods where the himalayan Goddess, Shamla, a synonym of Kali, reigned her celestial realm on earth is indeed, distant cry, but for well over a century, the two places, almost inter-linked, ruled the destiny of this sub-continent. In the year 1818, when Queen Victoria's uncle, William IV, was King of England, Lord William Bentick,the Governer General, had transformed the Company's dominion in India to the Dominion of India, and it was accurate to speak of Britain's Indian Empire. The frontier ran from bengal to Kathiawar, to the north it ran through the Thar desert and along the Sutlej nearly to the Himalayan range. The great hills were the northern boundary except for the Gurkha state of Nepal. Beyond this line lay the Punjab, Kashmir and the kingdom of Afghanistan. In 1814, the Nepalese king brought about the first war with Nepal over Sikkim, the Gurkhas had marched into Sikkim, whose ruler appealed, to the East India Company for help. The Sikkim ruler was installed and his territorial status was guaranteed but during the conflict the British discovered the beauties of Darjeeling and accidentally also the thickly wooded spot, abode of the goddess Shamla, and a part of the Kingdom of Nepal. When war broke afresh in 1819, the British took the place with its cool and healthy climate. Shimla is capital of Himachal Pradesh.
The Ridge : This large open space in the heart of town presents excellent views of the mountain ranges. Shimla's landmarks - the neo-Gothic structure of Christ Chursh and the neo-Tudor library building are here.
Lakkar Bazaar : Popular for its wood crafts and souvenirs, this is just off the Ridge.
Jakhoo Hill : At 2455 m., this is the town's highest peak and a vantage point for Shimla's famous views. The summit is crowned with a temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman. The hill is full of paths and narrow roads which are enjoyable walks.
St. Micheal's Cathedral : This dressed - stone church with fine stained glass has a cruciform design. It is located just off the Mall, below the District Courts.
State Museum : This houses a representative collection of Himachal Pradesh's rich heritage exhibits inculde archeological artifacts, carvings, paintings and sculptures. Closed on Tuesdays and holidays.
Indian Institute of Advanced Study : At 1983 m, this magnificent English renaissance structure was the former Viceregal Lodge. Its lawns and woodland and added attractions. Entry by ticket nominal charge). A portion of the interior is also open to the public, except on Sundays and Holidays.
The Glen : At 1830 m, this is a thickly wooded ravine through which a stream flows. It is a popular picnic spot.
Annandale : Surrounded by a thick deodar forest this large glade has an ancient temple on an edge.